Founded by veterans
The Sub Zero Mission does focus on veterans because about 18% of the adult homeless population are veterans according to the Disabled Veterans National Foundation. Part of our mission is to find veterans and help them make connections to services.
Since the founders and many of the volunteers are veterans there is a special connection there as well.
Homeless facts that focus on veterans:
- The latest count from 2015 shows there are about 48,000 homeless veterans across the country.
- Returning veterans are twice as likely to become chronically homeless as other Americans, according to Veterans Inc.
- About 40 percent of homeless vets are African American or Hispanic, according to the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans.
- There is a shift in demographics as homeless veterans are increasingly younger, female, and heads of households.
Numbers to thinks about
- 1% of Americans are combat veterans.
- 7% of Americans are veterans.
- 18% of America’s homeless are veterans.